Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2,282 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. Ivy says:

Hmmm. Scarcity and fear create HATE. hate consumes and destroys. I happened on this website only by accident and it is truly disheartening ( I only read a few lines, but that was sufficient to get the gist).

• My Truth says:

Hello Ivy,

Believe me when I say that this blog does serve a very important purpose. If you can get past the flames, insults, and fighting, there really is some very solid truth underneath it all. We all have our various positions, and sometimes they get expressed a little emotionally. There is good and bad everywhere you go in this world, and this website has given voice to those who have been alienated so harshly for nothing they themselves ever did to these islands – or to its people.

Good luck.

Best,

My Truth

• Josh says:

I agree, the people that are here are left hanging progressives that are confused. If you state a valid point, they try to find a way to undermine your position by attacking you. Hawaii is great for wealthy white or Japanese people, but the locals get the bone. Having to live with your family is humiliating if you are married with kids. I am a local boy and my wife and I both work. We sit in traffic every day to make a living while my parents attend to the kids and make dinner. We will leave this place so our quality of life will increase and our children will see parents that live on their own. We can come home for summer vacations then, because we could afford the tickets then. Local people be real about it… this place and the people that run it are screwing us.

• My Truth says:

Josh – You have some interesting things to say there. I, for one, think it’s refreshing to hear a local person speak about things differently. Here’s a tip o’ the hat to you.

Best,

Truth

2. Ivy says:

And I’ll never read another comment from this website.. Peace to all

3. Ivy says:

All right. fair enough, that deserves a reply. So I’ll make a point that could be important– this emotionally debate continues for a basic reason–ethnic pride. We have got to stop being proud of something we didn’t choose, or achieve– we were simply born and then adapted accordingly.The one side is harboring feeling of repression from the past and wants the whitie to feel marginalization for a change. The other has never been treated that way before and is shocked But you’re both wrong. If an insane (wo)man starts babbling some nonsense, are you going to reply? Remember, if someone doesn’t know you and you get the brunt of their mood, it’s not personal. They’re stuck in their world and you’re just a by passer. We all have biases.

Ok one more point– give humans a top position and most become power hungry and corrupt- it’s inherent in the system that we are all a part of.

• My Truth says:

Thank you for that lucid comment. I think that you’re probably right about one side versus the other, and maybe that’s just how it plays out in the human race sometimes.

Not sure if you were referring to me about that “top position” comment, but I have to tell you – I was never given a darn thing. Whatever I have, I earned.

Best,

Truth

4. john says:

finely some sense !

5. Ivy says:

No, Your Truth. The top position wasn’t a reference to you, just “how it plays out in the human race” sometimes.”

Wow, it is nice to share your feelings. I can see why people spend so much time doing it now!

• My Truth says:

Hi Ivy,

My apologies for inferring that your comment was intended for me. I didn’t mean to jump to conclusions! It can get a bit raw at times on this blog – but I believe it’s a good a place to vent and heal a little; if only a little bit.

Please believe me when I say that there are folks here who are honestly expressing themselves – and, to me at least, that matters!

Here’s a little honesty for you: I want you to know just how much I appreciate you being open, with your special brand of reasoning, to engage those who come here – just as you have done with me. Being a true man, in my estimation, is all about apologizing when he messes up, and also, that same man stands up for what he believes is true. At times, when there are opposing views, it can get sticky. I believe that’s OK, as long as folks are allowed to say what’s on their mind – and counterpoints are entertained – even if there is disagreement. Same goes for a true woman, but again, that is only my opinion.

Again, thank you for your honest communication and good intent. That much is very clear to me, and probably to all those who frequent a board such as this one. Have a great day, Ivy!

Best,

My Truth

6. john says:

This is exactly why I LOVE this site, people say shite, people come back and make a point if it’s a reasonable rebuttal with merit it gets positive attention, if not that stuff gets crammed back down the writers throat. Thank you very much for your input Ivy.

• My Truth says:

I’ll second that, John, we definitely need more level-headed people who’ll give a modicum of respect and dignity before giving someone both barrels – I welcome anyone with the kind of conversation that Ivy – or anyone, for that matter – brings to the table. That includes you, John!

Truth

7. always i used to read smaller articles or reviews which as well clear their
    motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading now.

8. Click says:

Your internet promotion venture won’t work on luck alone; you
    need to have persistence and dedication too.
    This makes it possible for you to do business with customers around the world.
    For example, if you own a car accessories shop
    online, then it is imperative that you take a look at the
    kind of products you have and the target market of these car accessories.

9. Charlie says:

Hello local people… I am not recognizing native Hawaiians because there are none of you left and brown Asians are standing up to support you. I have lived here for 10 years and I have to say that your State is lost. Wake up stupid assholes, your unions and governance is ruining you. White Caucasians and Asians own you. There are no plans to make a rail stop in Hawaii Kai or kailua. They want your poor tails to ride a train so they can drive to their fancy coffee house with out your ass 8 the way.

• john says:

and the sad truth is told, amen Charlie.

• john says:

There is one PROBLEM in your statement Charlie, you state ” brown Asians are standing up to support you” ? We all know this is complete bullshite. Asians are here to look out only for themselves, PERIOD. They are NOT standing up to support the Hawaiian people? Seriously point out to me just how and where they are they are making Hawaii a better place for the Hawaiian people? I see the Asian communities continue to increase in populations, purchasing more properties, opening more businesses, … also bring with them the same tragic practices they have been using that have destroyed their own countries?
        Having no or at best little regard for anything but themselves and the dollar, using the least expensive overhead methods possible to do business, your businesses continue to import obscene amounts of non-biodegradable packaging and products onto an island showing that you have absolutely NO RESPECT for the ISLANDS or the HAWAIIAN PEOPLE ?
        So PLEASE, tell us all again CHARLIE, HOW are YOU BROWN ASIANS STANDING UP TO SUPPORT ANYONE BUT YOURSELVES?

• My Truth says:

Ba-ba-ba……………BOOOOOMMMMMMMM! ! !

• My Truth says:

Hi Charlie – Can I buy you a drink?

My Truth

10. john says:

In Dedication to My Truth Re: Hawaii Sucks.. So many blessed perfect health, often have no sense.

Oh, the terrible burden you have brought upon yourself. While only seeking truth in observing marvellous things, the ungodly knowledge you dare share to enlighten, & educate.
    You branded yourself a lunatic, while the people gasp at your scientific proof, calling it witchcraft, & sorcery speculation spreads and label heretic is yours.
    What insatiable desire devours you to expand man’s vision and enable him to see more clearly? Why illuminate the folly of his beliefs?
    Oh Galileo, an impolitic crusade you lead is madness,
    I fear you have chosen in your madness, the fool’s journey!
    “Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regard to matters requiring thought: the less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them, while on the other hand to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgment upon anything new.”

11. john says:

This part is a quote from Galileo, iIn rereading through comments on your blog it just took me back to how insane common man is and how little depth most of their thought actually has.
    It makes no sense trying to explain to someone how many different colours the colour green is, when they chose only to see in black & white?

12. john says:

Guess I might have mentioned somewhere along the line I have an education, I just have to dust off the hillbilly to find it…

13. The Hammer says:

The only fate the local Hawaiian has to look forward to due to his abject ignorance, stupidity, and inability to see beyond himself is to be eliminated. Not by some outside force, but by his own nature propelling him faster and faster into self-destruction. Meth. Disease. Entropy. Impotence. Death. Of course, Whitey is blamed for ruining his pre-contact way of life which has led to his current dismal condition. He longs for the good ole days of open cannibalism, human sacrifice, violent savagery which would make ISIL blush, and otherwise living it up like a feral beast. What meth and poor diet won’t fully accomplish, the Chinese and Japanese will complete as these local boys clamor and beg to be ‘free’ of the mean ole Haolies – running right into the arms of an even more exacting master lording it over them. At the end of it all, the 3 remaining iced-out locals will blather something about the good ole days under Whitey’s USA paradise.

• My Truth says:

I always listen to anyone who uses words like abject, entropy, and clamor.

Welcome aboard, Hammer, we certainly need folks like you who know how to fully express an opinion without ANY chance of retort. Good work.

You’ve expressed some air-tight facts and opinions – can you hang around awhile?

Best,

My Truth

14. ICU8PUC2 says:

Been away for a bit but it looks like it’s “Hammer Time”….Bring it hard ” Hammer”. Don’t let the local poi eating clones get you down. Welcome to the true “Pulse of Paradise” E komo mai!

15. Thomas says:

Having lived in Honolulu for most of the 1990’s I have to agree with much of what you say, there is alot of resentment toward White people , whom many Hawaiians feel stole their nation, I worked at the Honolulu zoo for a time and had to deal with some very nasty locals, a comment I heard a number of times “when we get our country back we will do what we want” , this was after I told zoo visitors to stop feeding the birds as it was a rule of the zoo not to feed the birds for health reasons, they crap on people from the trees. Some of the Hawaiians I liked as they were more laid back than the mainlanders, some I would not turn my back on as they were as mean and racist as you would find in any big city on the mainland some would like to create trouble, would I like to go back to Hawaii to live ? Yes, but I know the places and people to avoid !

16. Kauai Sucks says:

By Sidney Ross Singer

DOES THE ALOHA STATE ACTUALLY HAVE A BULLYING PROBLEM?

If you are Caucasian and from the Mainland, you will certainly think so.

It doesn’t matter how long you live here, or if you were even born here. If you are white, locals will still call you a “haole”, a derogatory term that is Hawaii’s equivalent of using the “N word”.

And the prejudice goes beyond name calling. White people are often treated with scorn. “Go back to where you came from”, seems to be the message. “You don’t belong here.” Sometimes it results in violence.

White children in our schools are harassed, intimidated, and physically abused. The last school day of the year in Hawaii, for example, is traditionally called “kill a haole day”.

Racism is as ugly in Hawaii as anywhere else, and is the cause of much of the bullying of school children and adults alike. Unless this underlying racist cause of bullying is addressed, efforts to stop bullying are doomed to fail.

To overcome racism we must be inclusive and tolerant of differences. The diversity of cultures and peoples must be embrace and celebrated to find synergy in our differences. We must realize that we are all “one”, with no group more important than any other.

Achieving this “melting pot” in Hawaii will be difficult. Language and cultural barriers are keeping people apart, making Hawaii more a patchwork of different cultures than an integrated whole.

If these different cultures were living together, say in New York, then they would all be called New Yorkers. They would share an identity despite their differences. But you can’t do that in Hawaii, since no matter how long you live here you will never be a “Hawaiian”. That term is reserved for native Hawaiian people. Everyone else is just a “resident”.

Being native or not is an issue in Hawaii, and is a racial issue by definition. And while many native Hawaiians live with aloha, there are some who are resentful of what they see as foreign occupation of their islands.

If Hawaiians have first claim to these islands, then locals with Hawaiian blood have second claim, and immigrants, or aliens, have little or no claim. The stage is thus set for prejudice, racism, and bullying.

Of course, when alien people and cultures move in, they bring along alien plants and animals, too. Hawaii’s diversity of species from all around the world is a direct product of human immigration.

It is no surprise, then, that prejudice against immigrant cultures will result in prejudice against immigrant species.

The Hawaii government’s environmental policy gives preference to “native” species and has the agenda of “restoring native ecosystems”. While this native species supremacism is a national agenda, it has a powerful impact in Hawaii where it parallels political nativism and encourages racial prejudice.

According to this policy, species introduced to Hawaii after western contact are “alien”, and “don’t belong here”. Species introduced to Hawaii by native Hawaiians are “native”, and do belong here. The current focus of environmental management is to get rid of immigrant species to return the islands to their pre contact “native” condition.

To those who desire and appreciate these immigrant species Top Rated Fake Watches UK, this feels like environmental bullying.

Of course, this reinforces the racism problem. The more the government institutionalizes native supremacism in political and environmental agendas, the more it justifies and encourages a “we belong here and you don’t” attitude.

This is the recipe for hate, intolerance, and bullying.

For Hawaii to live up to its Aloha Spirit rhetoric, racial bullying must stop being tolerated. The school anti bullying program must address racial prejudice. And there needs to be sensitivity classes to teach compassion and respect for others.

We must realize that what counts most about people is not where they are from, but what they have to offer. Remember, “Aloha” means compassion, love, peace, affection, and mercy.

I lived in Maui as an adult in the mid 90s, and I can tell you anti white racism was alive and well in Hawaii. When they call you “haole” they do it with the same tone of voice that racists in the South use when they use the n word. It dismissive, derogatory, and just as racist as calling Hispanics “wetbacks.” All generalizations about race and origin are necessarily prejudicial. Unless you a tourist and are paying for it, “aloha” for whites is a lie. The good news is that Hawaii is the best place in the Union for whites to experience real racial discrimination firsthand. Living in Hawaii gave me a taste of what minorities on the mainland have experienced for generations, and it awful.

Ironically, the people who harmed the Hawaiian non white locals the most, are the non white locals who sold out to all the big corporations and foreign investors. Rather than face that painful truth, it easier and lazier to wallow in victimhood and vent their impotent rage on white “punching bags” where they can find them.

Spend your vacation dollars elsewhere.

Federal Election Commission, and the doctrine of corporate personhood. These corporations will never give back to the Hawaiian people what has already been acquired. Holding meetings with the federal government is just an act of theatre to allow local activists to blow off some steam and get a few minor concessions that will amount to nothing in the long run. This guarantees these lands will remain open and free of development, and open to Public Access in perpetuity.

Similarly, I am requesting general obligation funds to enable the state to work with a renewable energy company to purchase agricultural and conservation lands currently owned by the Dole Company nearly 20,000 acres of open space between Wahiawa and Haleiwa on the North Shore of Oahu.”I grew up in a small town on Oahu in the 1950s 60s. Dad haole, Mom Japanese so made me hapa haole. My mother’s brother was greatly embarrassed by having a haole in the family and made that known to his friends. I came in for some pretty miserable times. I was welcome in the home of one Japanese friend during high school. When I was younger one lady on our street gave cracker crumbs to my cousin and me and candy to the other kids for Halloween she was Chinese. I wanted to learn Japanese and signed up for class when it was offered in high school. One day the teacher gave me a Japanese name to use in class and smirked as he told me to be careful how I pronounced it. The girl next to me gasped and after class told me it could be mispronounced to mean something crude and obscene. She was Japanese born in Japan and I was so grateful for her friendship and help to make it through that class. The teacher was local Japanese. What a poor excuse for an educator. I had enough excellent teachers to get a good high school education some local and some from the mainland. It was such a relief to go to the University of Hawaii and meet a more diverse group students and educators. I went to the mainland for graduate school and ended up staying. Growing up hapa haole in a small town in post WWII Hawaii was an experience I would not wish on anyone.

• john says:

Always good to see you on here K.Man, making sure the subject is properly displayed & illuminated for optimal viewing from many angles…. the things you bring up in your post most people would have no idea of ever happening and I’m sure many still after reading still don’t understand much of terror and humiliation associated with it as a kid? Pretty damn ballsy putting it all out there bud.
      Thanks for the education as always!
      j.

17. john says:

BTW Re:”requesting general obligation funds to enable the state to work with a renewable energy company to purchase agricultural and conservation lands ” I’m currently in school so if you need petitions signed I’m your huckleberry you give me a shout out and we’ll find a way to connect outside of this blog and get some paperwork together … have laser printer so good to go ?
    J.

18. Thomas says:

Generally Hawaiians are not very smart some are almost like children physically fighting over suffering places, I have learned to deal with these people like children, the average native Hawaiian enjoys suffering , fishing , laying around eating and collecting welfare ,unfortunately so many mainlanders idea of Hawaiians are from old Hollywood films like “Blue Hawaii” just total bs , Young Hawaiians can be just as mean and nasty as any low life in the big cities on the main land , individuals like Donald Trump who have bought up large amounts of Honolulu wish to turn Hawaii into a playground for the very rich, the average middle income person does not belong in Hawaii , just the very rich with a few “happy” locals(hula girls and beach boys) to make the tourists feel good ! Hawaii in many respects is like a painting, if you look at it too close you will see many inperfections. The worst thing that ever happened to me while living in Hawaii was the dirty look (stink eye) from some locals .

• My Truth says:

Thomas? Amen, brother, once again, we have a totally unbiased opinion from someone who’s not afraid to tell the truth. Welcome aboard Thomas!

My Truth

19. john says:

huh waddya say boy LMDFAO… yep again ya nailed it !

20. Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post.

Thank you for supplying these details.

21. Thomas says:

Having lived in Honolulu for nearly 10 years my advice to tourists don’t roam around the streets after 11PM, and especially avoid downtown Honolulu in the evening as the area around China town, Pali Longs shopping center is literally over run with prostitues(males who dress like women) servicemen and tough young locals ! Waikiki after 10 PM Kalakaua has many prostitues mosty young White blond girls with a few Black girls these individuals prey mostly on the rich Japanese male tourists, Kuhio Ave. has the local beach boy prostitues who hang around the gay bars in the area, Hulas etc, when I live in Wakiki doing security work and would get off at 1or 2 AM I would be propositioned sometimes 15 times an evening sometimes the girls were very bold and try and grab for my privates,Ingnor them and they would say “well FU” I changed my walk home instead of Kalakaua I walk home down Ala Wai Blvd. I seen a beating and mugging once near the Jack in the box and assult of a White moped driver by locals in a car on Ala Wai Blvd. after midnight . I seen an attempted car jacking near the Ward Ave. center. and of course avoid A Ala park off of Hotel day or night . The one good thing about Hawaii compared to where I live now , it is very difficult to buy a gun, you can get beatup in Hawaii but most likey you won’t get shot ! Once I remember during the 1990’s one of the high schools near an army base base(Schofield Barracks) was in lock down due to racials fight between the locals and the children of the Black service people stationed there . I will relate more of my Hawaiian adventures later on !

22. Thomas says:

Years ago when I first moved to Hawaii I purchased a telephone at the Hawaiian Tel store at the Ala Moana center I’m walking thru the parking lot and a local girl came running up to me and asked for some money ! I told her I was sorry as I just spent my all my money for a telephone, she looked at me said “why did you spend so much money for phone ?” Another words we Whites should always have money to give to the locals ! Another time I was near the Ward Ave center and I was nearly run over at a cross walk, another local female, instead of saying she was sorry she nearly ran be over , she said “where in the hell do you think you are going ?” I was at the cross walk, I told her I am trying to get across the the street you moronic jerk, he left in a state of confusion, probably did not know what a jerk was ! I would have used stronger words but she with an old lady most likely her mother ! A real total “A” hole, the female locals sometimes are worse than their male counterparts , mostly large over sized tattoed slobs about as attrative as a mule not the cute babes you see in bs Hollywood films, Hawaii 5-O etc !

23. The city has attracted many customers to choose a lead generation web designer.
    If you are and how to load it with the work designed and graphical techniques as
    well as using tables Though it provided them with tips, and optimizes your site
    obtain attention and impresses them. The website should have
    the actual job at yourweb design and ask them about their findings
    and recommendations. The prices and that it’s simply been included in my site as opposed to virtual communication.

24. Regena says:

They construct and connect all the materials they use instruments like ohmmeters, voltmeters, ohmmeters and other works, or even consumers longer.
    If everything is in business. Home renovating by professionals is a online marketing consultant of
    products other than self-interest. They know how important it is a ConsiderationMoney is also the downside.
    Instead, take to find in their market. Prepare yourself for happy
    days ahead of time, the youngest brother of
    former President George W.

25. It’s truly very complicated in this full of activity life to listen news on Television,
    so I only use web for that purpose, and obtain the latest
    news.

26. Marcella says:

Sweet blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News.

Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?

I’ve been trying for a while but I nrver seem to get
    there! Many thanks

27. Undeniably believe that which you said. Your favorite reason appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get irked while people think about worries that they just do not know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined
    out the whole thing without having side effect , people could take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks