Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2,372 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. joe says:

You people just voted in the same people that believe that high home prices, shitty roads and schools are good. You dumb fucking democrats jeep fucking up your state and you will never really understand why your poliscites are the reason why. Enjoy your kids liVing with you until they are thirty and your 8 dollar boxes of cereal retards. You are so fucking smart… nope… you are fucking stupid!!!

2. Betty says:

Amazing how people down-play the anti-local, haole sentiment which exists here when questioning whether to move their family across thousands of miles of ocean to this small isolated state which the tourism bureau calls “Paradise”. To those considering a move of that magnitude….please read this thread. I’ve been fortunate to secure a decent job and have been here for quite a while….and while there are delightful aspects of life in Hawaii, quite frankly the cons outweigh the pros. While most dream with rose-colored glasses on of living and retiring here…..I look forward to retiring and moving back to the mainland……away from this backward, corrupt, expensive state.

3. Zombie Capt. Cook says:

My Truth,
    I have here, for your(and all of us as well) viewing pleasure, a video that so encapsulating the Hawaii experience. I can’t do it justice, but know all of the elements are there. It is basically this entire blog, and all of its posts, encapsulated in 2 and a half minutes of pinheaded local-kine neanderthalism.

• jeri says:

your opening paragraph is soooo funny. hmm, you nailed it. why so much anger here, i don’t know, but it’s real. don’t forget 5 local guys jumping one man. these wanna be gang bangers. im so glad im NOT born & raised hee’a..lol. jeri rasulo at facebook. wb if you like, we can blow off some steam venting and complaining about this beautiful ghetto land.

4. griz.li says:

Hello friends, how is the whole thing, and what
    you would like to say concerning this paragraph, in my view its in fact awesome designed
    for me.

5. john says:

Wow This place has been quiet…. Unlike my upstairs neighbour who learned to walk from Hitler’s troops of goose steeping stomping nazis. She doesn’t seem to understand one can close a cupboard, drawer, closet, with out using the force needed to slam the door on an industrial meat locker. Also I’m not sure exactly what she does on her toilet, but she has broken her wax seal yet again allowing it to leak into my apt through my bathroom light, and down my wall under the molding through the paint destroying the cheap particle board cupboard, leaving brown streaks in several spots running down my wall ?
    Good Times

6. john says:

By the way… Happy Winter Solstice / Yuletide One and All, May the new Season be Wondrous & Joyful Time.

• My Truth says:

Hey John,

Good hearing from you, and yes, this place has been kind of quiet lately – but I think that’s kind of how it goes. Starts and stops, hot times and cooler times, and then holidays where folks just don’t have the time. But don’t worry, we’re still out here ready to debate the subject! I know that every time someone posts, I get an email – and I like it that way. I like to be ready to send a rapid response to any lame-ass local who needs to be slammed and put in their place. Just say the word:)

On your neighbor situation, I’d confront her head-on, and I wouldn’t be sugarcoating anything. Knock on her door. Let her have the truth, and also how you feel about it. If she gives you an attitude, channel it up with her landlord – and if it really gets bad, small claims court. I did that twice, and won. They cannot infringe on your space like that and cause damage. Oh, I’m remembering that you’re renting? You can also give your landlord the same advice I’m giving you. It’ll still work :)

Hey John! Mele Kalikimaka! WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU – SAYING MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY SOLSTICE IS NOT RIGHT – THIS IS HAWAII YOU IGNORANT FUCKING HAOLE!!!

:):):)

Merry Christmas, Buddy. Take care and we’ll chat soon.

Best,

Truth :)

• john says:

I have complained to the landlord, I have also taken her a copy of the house rule she just came down and went of on this crazy aresed japanese rant about how it was all my fault that she was noisy & how it was the land lord’s fault for not remodeling her apt for fifteen minutes til I told her to F- off I had recorded her shte for the past six months and so had more than enough proof of her behavior … but she hasn’t changed and the landlord don’t care so long as he gets his check, every time My ceiling leaks he comes and tears my ceiling open and leaves it like that smelling of crap instead of opening her floor or her wall to fix her shower or what ever the problem because he doesn’t want cause her any inconvenience.

• My Truth says:

Maybe get a lawyer or move…sounds like a shit situation…sorry John…

• john says:

I gave notice but in the mean time going to make the upstairs neighbours life hell, going to write her a little summary of the Japanese history with the USA in Hawaii ti help with her superiority complex. Photos of the camps and the bombings and the fact that she is only her by the grace of whities good will … making it clear no asian country has ever ruled Hawaii. Hitting home the point that while she is here enjoying all the amenities and benefits the USA has to offer calling all of us lazy, she herself has been to lazy and disrespectful to bother to learn the english language.
        I need to down size, find a quite place to paint and study looking forward to a great new year filled possibilities… and finely a good nights sleep LMDFAO

• My Truth says:

Yup, I’d probably move, too. Just be careful that her sensibilities aren’t THAT damaged…I’m just saying it’s probably not worth the hassle of doing all of that if she perceives it as overly negative. Some people, John, you just can’t work with. Sounds like a zoo over there anyway. I’d want out, too!

Best,

Truth

• john says:

There is no working with her .. she is a complete NUTBAG she blamed her yelling, slamming doors, & domestic violence on the Landlord, then Me, then her Daughter … because we are lazy and she has to do everything… LOL if her daughter has someone over the crazy bitch puts on this fake personality so loud it’s like he is in my place I feel so sorry for the daughter having to put up with it she doesn’t get that any guy she brings home is gonna think that in gonna be her in twenty years …LOL trust me if thought for one minute it would work I would go draw a dotted line and drive her to a bridge and show her where to jump

• My Truth says:

HAHAHAHA John, really funny.

I guess there is dense, and then I guess there is DENSER THAN DENSE!!!

Truth :)

7. Ralph says:

Just found this blog. Interesting. A couple of comments: I love how those who claim to despise racism proceed to engage in it… gotta love the local hypocrisy. Also, if they ever did succeed In kicking out the evil haoles, HI would be a Chinese colony the next day (or maybe Russian… MR Putin would love to grab it).
    From what I can tell “haole” has two meanings, one is just descriptive… the other is no better than the n word. Just need to know how to read the context. There is the open outright detest kind of racism and the more passive “you will always be an outsider” kind. A passive, cutting, “you are the butt of the jokes and the cause of our problems” kind of attitude.
    Jury still out on whether I want to stay or get the hell out.

• Whiners of Hate says:

You are correct..and I find it funny that these hypocritical idiots are systematically shut out by the Japanese as they hold many key positions in this corrupt government of Hawaii, and the idiots don’t even know it. They don’t even know who to be mad at, but boy they sure like the freebie handouts from their neighbors, the taxpayer. The hate is incredibly irrational, considering none of us were around all those “horrible” years ago. Ah, the victim card is alive and well.

8. terrii says:

Fuck you Hawaii! I have to register my legally owned firearms here or face a misdermeanor. What the fuck is that?! The local mokes beat their old ladies and families to I clue stabbings as well. Fuck this place, it is so corrupt. I am so glad that I am moving. Have a good time paying your electricity bills and water bills. Food is do cheap here. Car parts are even cheaper. Home prices are affordable. Nope, that was all bulls hit because living here is shit. Fuck you Hawaii.

9. sumone says:

East side…these people are not just low lives of the most incomprehensibly intense kind. These people are possessed by evil. Apparently when you cross a Hawaiian, with a White, and an Asian, you get Frankenstein. If reptilians are real..that’s what these are. Hateful, thieving, drug addicted…etc. The thing is…most people are not aware of what local really means. It means : Network Criminal Lowlife!

They have what appears to be an entire drug network……. And the police appear to be in on it!!!!!!!

Every time you notify police, the druggies move around, as if they are being tipped off.

The other day they detained me, and lied to my face, as they falsely accused me. Later they let me go. Apparently , they overheard me attempting to get the number of State police, which, the crook cop on line, resisted giving me.

It is so obvious the police are part of organized crime here. God help us.

• john says:

Big time ! So much interbreeding and no idea of what honesty or integrity means they’ve all been lying to everyone including themselves for so damn long they believe their own bullshite of their self importance…. even believing they are actually qualified for the city, county, state and federal positions they hold only because they were hired as part time and kept on as fulltime … it’s the way they get around having to go through the required interview process and have to hire qualified and educated people who deserve the job, but they would rather hire locals related to themselves and friends of theirs! That way they can keep the corruption all in the family! Car and motorcycle bicycle theft is insane here but the cops are related to the chop shop guys so they don’t bother looking for anything thats stolen.. but they will encourage you to look for it and let them know if you find it while they park their fat lazy arses at the park or waterfront with their buddies, or drive around with their lights on pretending they are important …although none of em I’ve spoken to even know the damn laws?

10. sumone says:

Tiki Gardens…in Kurtistown…word has it huge drug network in there. Few decent peoe ate surrounded by lowlives. Cops are in on it. One guy told me they falsely detained him because he was trying to report crime. Big Island Lomice us basically a huge crook organization.

11. sumone says:

Correction: Tiki Gardens…in Kurtistown…word has it huge drug network in there. Few decent peoe are surrounded by lowlives. Cops are in on it. One guy told me they falsely detained him because he was trying to report crime. Big Island poliice is basically a huge crook organization, supported in turn, by the crooks at higher levels. Big Island is a federal drug farm!!!!!

12. sumone says:

In reference to one poster.. Yea, it appeared in Pubaweb, thatvTiki Gardens in Kurtistiwn is indeed a haven for drug dealers. If I recall, there is currently a drug dealer house on Silversword Ct., but the effeminates, and desperately crooked ” Asiatic” Police, should not be expected to conduct themselves as honorable ” men.” Long known police there are crooks. But, apparently the American population does not mind. They ate after all..go along to get along. So, when the civilization crumbles, please…. DO NOT CPMPLAIN!

13. Moopy says:

Thank you! Totally agreed.
    I was born and raised there and got the HELL out of there as soon as I graduated from high school (did I mention my freshman class was 900 and less than 200 graduated)?
    WORST.
    PLACE.
    EVER.

14. franny says:

So much of this backwards state I don’t get. Much of what is believed of the state itself and its people is the complete opposite of what it actually is and represents (truth). The people here are very dumb, unhappy and angry. They don’t have any distinguishing or unique character traits, boring, boring, boring. They’re plain, lifeless and miserable looking. They all look the same with their expressionless faces. They go about like the walking dead and so full of fear and paranoia, very strange. I think I’d rather be dead than live like they live. Also, they’re too hateful and dumb to acknowledge and appreciate the white people who are the source of the survival. There must be a huge percentage of money from white tourists and residents who contribute a great deal to their state. That, I think, disturbs me more than anything else. They should be thanking us, not hating and fearing us. Unbelievalbe to me and other nice white people who are here either as tourists or residents.

• ICU8PUC2 says:

You nailed it. A plantation subculture of the lesser educated Asian descendants who came here to pick sugar for Anglo run corporations. A lost brewed of low cerebral capacity humanoids who are incapable of competing in a world devoid of generational federal corporate welfare. Low waged and low browed; it looks like a refugee camp of Neanderthals who fight, drink, and breed. Chronic inferiority and insecurity shapes their limited world where aspiring to be a gangsta culture is their mantra. They do all look the same; hopeless and helpless; a real monochromatic intellectual society. This place is a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah

15. franny says:

I’m surprised that no one mentioned the pungent odor of urine and fecal matter that permeates much of the island since so many homeless people piss and shit on any bench anywhere they please. I lived in Waikiki and as soon as I opened my door, that’s what I smelled, especially on the more humid days. It’s enough to make you throw up. I know that not all homeless people are not local, however, the state should provide institutions for these people to live (their own species at least). They don’t belong scattered all over the island. Many are very sick and do not belong anywhere among society. Many locals think nothing of pissing and shitting outdoors. They’d rather do that than act at least somewhat civilized and use bathrooms that are available to them.

• john says:

LMDFAO True Franny, but you forgot to mention the Aloha State doesn’t require businesses to provide a restroom for their clients let alone homeless people? I can’t even begin to tell you how many places I’ve gone to eat that don’t have a restroom you can use, one place over by Diamondhead tells it’s clients to go down half a block and use the bathroom at the coffee shop which is a chain store? Or while in Waikiki I’ve been told there is bathrooms across the street on the beach (good luck if you need toilet paper)? They did recently try and pass a law that people can’t crap or piss in public downtown, hahahahaha but did they do anything like try and put in porta potties NO!

16. Franny says:

Man, am I glad I came across this site! The gripes are endless and deservingly so. If the locals hate “haoles” so much, then why are the females lightening their hair and getting contact lenses to change their eye color from brown to green or blue? Either way, they walk around like they’re so beautiful which is another contradiction of them claiming to being humble. They’re disgustingly conceited with no right because most of them are gross, ugly and fat and their skin and teeth are horrible too, along with their disposition. It’s the white females here who are humble and honest, carrying themselves with class and grace when they don’t even need to try. The white people are treated like second class citizens for the most part. I have encountered well mannered locals (few and far between) or maybe they were from Japan which raises another funny observation. The locals here seem to worship Japanese and they’re too stupid to realize that Japanese business owners wouldn’t even touch them with a 100 foot pole, especially when it comes to employing them. In fact, they pretty much detest locals. I worked for a couple of Japanese business owners who hired mostly white people that had brains and social skills, neither of which seems to be present in these beautiful pacific islanders. The Japanese can’t even stand them and yet the locals think the Japanese are their allies… makes me laugh and sad at the same time. WAKE UP HAVAAIIII! LOL. If they can call us “haoles”, then why shouldn’t we call them ch—ks or the forbidden N-word. They look dirty and they act dirty. Oh my, maybe I’m being too harsh… sorry

17. Anti-Hawaii says:

One thing that makes Honolulu a terrible city compared to other cities in the industrialized world is its lack of a decent or diverse economic structure. Its economy relies mostly on tourism and the military (two things the locals hate despite the fact that they are the only sectors keeping this place afloat), which is rather pathetic by progressive global standards. For comparison, places like New York City have finance as their economic majority, places like Los Angeles are based on entertainment, places such as Seattle and San Francisco (mainly Silicon Valley) are based on technology, and many more. Any city or area that relies mainly on tourism as their only source of revenue are bad because it leaves corruption within the government and stories of illegal and cringe-worthy events that happen are covered up so their reputation won’t be damaged to outsiders. Otherwise their only source of income is gone for good. This is why Hawaii, despite all of its many problems, is still seen as an ideal utopia where everyone’s troubles will magically disappear…

• franny says:

I think you’re absolutely correct in all you stated and regarding these people having unwarranted resentment towards military and tourists, it’s like looking a gift horse in the mouth, then biting the hand that feeds them (completely senseless like so much else that goes on there). I wonder how on earth they don’t have the brain capacity to recognize this, among everything else that they’re blind to.

18. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to
    and you’re just extremely fantastic. I actually like what you’ve acquired
    here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you
    say it. You make it entertaining and you
    still care for to keep it wise. I can not wait to read much
    more from you. This is really a tremendous web site.

• franny says:

Oh well. I’m just telling it like I see it and I feel bad about my less than favorable opinions at times. I’m missing the genuine display of expressions, conversations, and emotions that we experience daily on the mainland as I’m sitting on a bus full of zombies and God forbid if I were to laugh about anything in general. You’re looked at as if you were from another planet. Can’t wait to finish my mission here, then go back to reality mainland to restore my dulled senses. I miss the human race.