Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4,347 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. Renee says:

Wow its been so quiet here…crickets. Oh how I want a proud green beer bottle local to toy with…lol

• My Truth says:

Hi Renee,

I’m here haha. You’re right, we’ve had quite the run here! It should pick up around the holidays when locals are sitting on their asses and peeking their head in on the blog 😉

How are you? I’m doing great 😉

MT 😉

• Renee says:

My Truth!
        Gla d your doing well! I just had an opportunity again to move back to Hawaii. When the call comes in its easy to think about the mountains and beaches. I thought long and hard about it and don’t want to expose my daughter to the schools and possible discrimination. I have a long hard look at everything I endured there and feared for her. I just needed to come back here to read everything to confirm I made the right decision!

• My Truth says:

Renee,

You did the right thing. I become happier and happier with each passing day that I’m away from those godforsaken locals. It’s not the islands that suck. It’s the locals – and they ruined it for everyone.

• Renee says:

Well said. I will forever miss the beauty of the islands…but the locals ruin the beauty and make it not worth it. I have a child now too and there is the whole public school nightmare…

• My Truth says:

Not only the public school thing, but people there are just mean for no reason. As long as there are handouts available to vagrants, locals will be nasty, nasty people.

2. Da Truth Eh?! says:

Brah?! I wanna get a good job (12 dalas en hor) buy a 40K Toyota truck, knock up my girlfriend and live with her in my parents home until I am in my 40s.

These people are so ignorant.

What is the deal with green bottles?

Why is generational housing not frowned upon?

If these poor idiots could drive away to another state they would be better off.

To second that…. I am glad that they do not have that convenience.

• John says:

Hey, hey hey… anyone whose lived here for a while knows this is not completely true… many local men move in with their “girl friends” … women who have four or five kids from as many fathers, receive subsidised housing, welfare, food stamps, who let them live for free, scrub the skid marks outta their shorts, while they try and get knocked up trying to force him to marry her…and then is taken completely by surprise when he like all of his predecessors, gets drunk and beats her… and even though each time the cops come she explains how he lives therebfor free and how she does everything for him,… it is never reported as welfare fraud… re : driving to a different state, maybe we should build a viaduct, and a short stretch of road, posted no speed limit, los vegas this way…free Heineken….

• My Truth says:

Hi “Da Truth” 😉

I knew a lady who wanted to PASS DOWN her SECTION 8 housing gig TO HER CHILDREN – it’s not only generational housing, it’s generational WELFARE too!

Hi John 😉

My Truth

3. John says:

***lives there for free…..

4. Mike says:

Wow lots of hate here. Sounds like typical white man entitlement attitude… “Too bad such a nice place is controlled by non-whites” is what I’m hearing. You want the indigenous people removed so you and your white friends can have their paradise? It’s an arrogance that is only found in whites. The rest of us understand that when in Rome… well you know the rest. But arrogant whites have a different philosophy… “When I arrive, do as I do.” Yeah, how’s that been working for ya?

• My Truth says:

Hi Mike,

Way to come barging into the forum acting like a complete and total ass-hat. Don’t bother asking why this forum exists…just selectively read a few of the posts and make your own, small, vapid determination. You asked how things have been working out for us…OK, I’ll try one:

Hawaii is a shithole banana republic – not because the “whites” came in and spoiled it, but because the locals have. So, you “do in Rome” while in Hawaii? The truth is, you’re probably a one-time tourist (or never-been, one of the two) who is really talking out of his ass, because you’ve never experienced what it’s like living in Hawaii as a Caucasian. So, you visit Hawaii, wear matching aloha shirt and shorts while your wife wears the exact patterned matching muumuu, making the shaka sign, and drinking coconut juice out of a coconut while sipping it through a straw. Hmmmm. Do like the locals do, eh Mike?

But you don’t see the REAL Hawaii, Mike. You don’t see all the crackhead neighbors who live near us, or how Caucasian children are treated in public school (which is an entirely different issue, but let me give you a clue: last in the U.S. of A.) You haven’t experienced how locals are really the true racists who reach out one hand for welfare while they “dig their nose” with the other, nor have you seen them blow their nose in their own t-shirt while wearing it, then smooth it down like it was nothing. You don’t see – because your face is pressed up against the trees – how the U.S. did Hawaii a favor by annexing them – because if we didn’t, locals in Hawaii would be speaking Chinese or Russian – instead of pidgin English…I could go on and on Mike, but I’ll wait until the next time you visit. Oh, and how is it that you ended up at the “Hawaii Sucks” forum in the first place? What were you searching for?

I’ll tell you what Mike, come back here with a better attitude, and we can talk. But if you want to look down your nose at the people who come here with legitimate complaints and dismiss them, you’re in for a surprise instead of a nice conversation…

I lived in Hawaii for more than 30 years – so I’ll give you the straight deal while you search out how to “act” in Hawaii – but if you’re going to come back thinking you know what you’re talking about, which, I know isn’t true just by reading your short post, don’t even bother. You’ll get your ass handed to you by me, and the others who know the real deal about Hawaii, and it’ll probably hurt your ego just a little too much.

Welcome to the board, Mike,

My Truth

• John says:

Apparently you were confused or just too ignorant to understand what a site entitled “hawaii sucks” would be about. Indigenous people? yeah recent census tells us the indigenous or native hawaiian population in hawaii ranges between 6-9% of the population. (if you were to read many of the post on this site you’ll find. none of us have any problems with the as you say indigenous population. The majority of hawaii’s population is asian. You obviously haven’t done your research. As far as in rome, I was brought up to be kind, considerate, respectful, honest, iloyal, instilled with a work ethic of excellence.so no wonder I don’ t fit in in hawaii, you see I like the others who post herre, just weren’t brought up to be cheets, liars, theives, nor was I raised to befriend others to be able to undermine them and stab them in the back as “sport”.. My take on hawaii’s immigrant asian /locals population is they want to piss/shit on american standards, values, cultural, ethics, standard etiquette, expecting us from the mainland to accept their behaviours as cultural ethnic differences … but I guess we’ll see how disrespecting americas work out for locals when we go to war with korea/china… I’m sure the military will be impressed with the locals lying game and see that they are just much more clever than whites… yeah considering locals have shit on the military every chance they’ve gotten for the past 70 years…

• Renee says:

^^^^^^^^^^^what John said^^^^^^^^^ A+ John.

I wouldn’t trust a generic Asian mix local boi or girl for a second…shifty eye cunning self righteous but so ugly inside ….true Hawaiians from Waianae, the dying few have a heart of gold.inside

Military presence is the only hope.

• John says:

Completely agree Renee, the actual “native people” are great to hang with, locals you can’t trust as far as the end of your eyelashes. Thank Gawd I’ll be outta here soon!

• John says:

no one here seems to notice the serious increase in military here…. or maybe no one wants to talk about it, I’ve noticed a sizeable amout of training flights and seems to be a lot more helicopters too…

• My Truth says:

Hi Guys!

Good hearing from you two…as always, I expect that the “activity” will pick up around Thanksgiving, and continue through to the first of the new year 😉 John, it’s great to hear that you’ll soon be back in the Lower 48 – I no longer call it the “Mainland” since it’s really a local term.

You too, Renee, you sound just as happy as can be – and I can honestly say every single metric of my life has vastly improved since moving away from Hawaii. I’m staring down the probability of being promoted by January 1st, and have completed 14 PROFESSIONAL goals, certifications, and even a master’s degree since I left that shithole – not to mention the dozens and dozens of PERSONAL things I’ve done for myself, not the least of which was pulling $180k out of the Hawaiian market economy after selling my place. My quality of life is triple for half the price (I’m not EVEN kidding,) and instead of feeling like I’m being judged all the time, it’s just me being judged on the kind of person I am.

For anyone who’s thinking about leaving Hawaii – DO IT. For those who think they’re going to be happy by getting a raise for going back there – I would most-likely say DON’T.

Great hearing from you guys!

My Truth 😉

5. The real truth says:

The modern democrat party is still the party of slavery. You idiots cannot dispute that. So, with that said… You are all island negros and you vote for high home prices, a high standard of living and an unexpected affordable wayof life. You are all bitches to the Democratic party just like aficans were in the 1800s! You have no argument… You know that I am correct.

• My Truth says:

Huh. Did you know most of us don’t live there anymore? I guess that makes you the idiot. A lot of what we do here has to do with a particular poster’s initial communication, and boy, you blew it. You’re a racist pig and an angry little person, so much so that you come in here with that idiotic, no-good, stupid bullshit way of talking. Well, here it is right back in your fat face: You don’t know any of us; you probably should be posting in another forum; you don’t have a single iota right about Hawaii, and you’ve got the balls to come in here trying to ride on my username.

Go fuck yourself.

6. The real truth says:

The last time that demotards freaked out was when a republican… Abe Lincoln, freed the slaves.

• My Truth says:

Hey, dumbass, you’re in the wrong forum. You need to go into the “Crazed Political Extreme Bigots who are Fixated on Slavery” blog.

GTFO

7. bigdahliablue says:

I’ve been following this blogpost for about two years now, just reading over what you all have to say about your experiences and the stories you all have to share with Hawaii. Over this time I was in denial, I kept wanting to tell myself that I was wrong, that maybe I was judging too harshly and it would all get better. Well, now that I possess a chance to leave here and go back to a continent, I want to come out and say it all to you.

You’re all right. So very, very right.

How can I express is best, though? Originally I was going to make a blogpost about this on my own website, then I realized this would be a safe haven for me to write and that I would be able to share my story without being castigated or being left to deal with vitriolic remarks. So, here’s my story. I have felt no need to censor myself even to my most liberal of family and friends, because nobody deserves to be treated the way I was, or be stuck in the backwards, corrupt state that is Hawaii. This is a long one.

So I wasn’t raised in Hawaii, but was educated in a system just as backwards (more on this later) in the state of Oregon, which is now deemed the third poorest in education standards in the US, mind you. I have a vivid memory of being in 9th grade and having a politically correct history teacher who told us he was going to teach us about the history of Hawaii. I was excited, because Polynesia always fascinated me since I was a little kid. Well, it ended up being a 2-week long SJW spiel about how we took the lands from the Hawaiian natives, and how we as white people deserve to not be accepted on the island. He even showed us a video of Hawaiian locals calling a group of white kids ‘haole’, and defended the locals as being ‘strong’. I remember being shocked but held my peace.

Years later I get a couple scholarships while I’m studying in college, one which was for completing a rigorous program at University of Hawaii. Because I had so wanted to go to Hawaii, also as a way to travel and explore a different culture while being protecting within US borders, I took up the offer and was soon finishing up a Master’s program in Honolulu. I will come out and say this: Hawaii is beautiful. It really is. I loved waking up in the morning to feel the mist of a fresh-fallen rain, to hike in the gorgeous rainforest mountains, to swim in the warm waters off of Maui, it was a wonderful experience…but I wish it had been all wonderful.

Heading out with an English degree, I had anticipated to go through an internship to begin as an assistant professor at the community college, but it fell through and I had to take another job. Since the job market In Hawaii is incredibly limited and stifling (which I was rather expecting, mind you), I ended up taking a job in Wainaea at a private school as a 4th grade teacher, where for both my classes during my two years there, the population of kids in my class were about 60-70% indigenous Hawaiian. I remember being nervous at first, very nervous, because I had remembered from my history teacher that Hawaiians didn’t like white people. Well, turns out, that would be true, but only partially–because it wasn’t actually indigenous Hawaiians that treated me cruelly.

The native Hawaiian kids I got to teach were amazing. They are absolutely the nicest people I have ever met. Sweet, kind, open-minded, and very smart. They treated me with not only respect, but like I was family. During holidays their parents would bake me cookies and bring me candy and other sweet things as gratitude. I was even invited to dinner a couple times at different occasions. They were incredibly generous to me. They never expressed any hatred towards me or anybody. One kid even promised to teach me some Hawaiian words if I tutored him on his math homework! During these two years I was happy to be here, and the subtle fear of being criticized for being white left me quickly.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to stay long. During my second year at the school the state decided to raise property taxes (which they’re still doing to this day lol), and because I wasn’t being payed very well and was living paycheck-to-paycheck, I was accepted to another job to teach at a public school in Hilo as a 7th grade teacher. I taught at this school for nearly seven years. Everyday until the day I had saved up enough money to finally leave was pure hell.

Want to know a secret that isn’t really a secret? The public education system in Hawaii is shite. Pure shite. It’s run by these fanatical far-left liberal types who don’t want us to bother teaching a curriculum, but rather talk down to the students. It’s political correctness to the max. The principal at the school was a bleached-white hippee woman who told me the spirits of Hawaii all dissipated after white people came to island (wtf). I remember encountering a huge red flag before my first day was to begin when a teacher came up to me and whispered “just ignore the insults the kids fling back at you.”

I was expecting a good class to teach like at the indigenous Hawaiian private school–but holy hell it was not. I remember the sharp juxtaposition between the two like a tape player that wont stop rewinding. A bunch of children in my class had no qualms calling me “haole” whether they were joking or they were being quite aggressive. A lot of these children told me they were native Hawaiians whose lineage traced back X generations (which is probably something their ignoramus parents told them). I could barely hold myself back from laughing whenever they told me this. These kids looked like they didn’t even have an ounce of Polynesian blood in them. You want to know something real sick? These social programs Hawaii has implemented, which was originally supposed to go towards helping the indigenous Hawaiians, are being sucked up by these Filipino/Japanese/Caucasian/Micronesian mongrels who masquerade themselves as natives so they can get entitlements and don’t have to work–leaving very little for the indigenous.

I managed to figure this out before actually knowing it. I remember having to go visit the house of a child not once, not twice, not three, but four times so I could have a frank face-to-face conversation with these kids’ parents since the child was either being constantly disruptive or showing violent behavior. All four times the homes I visited were run-down, dirty, disgusting hovels located in these horrible neighborhoods right in the bowels of Hilo and Kalihi. The parents were these nasty, disgusting slobs who clearly give a shit that the child was having serious problems and was causing them in the classroom. Hell, one of these parents even called me a ‘white nigger’ at one point.

It was bad. I was being called names almost everyday by these kids. They didn’t even possess a glint of the curiosity, charm, or sweetness I got from the indigenous kids. I recalled this situation to a teacher while we were having lunch, and she came out and told me that the people who post those idiotic ‘No aloha no Hawaiian’ bumper stickers on their cars or right-up call a white person ‘haole’ are never actual Natives, but Asians! It made me realize that the whole education system that was pandering to ‘white people destroyed the native habitat’ and is encouraging the behavior of castigating white people, was actually doing so to people who aren’t EVEN FUCKING HAWAIIAN!

This right here is one of the main reasons why Hawaii is a goddamn mess. Not only is it because of its overt racism (and its encouragement to do so), but also for other reasons I shall mention here. Hawaii does not know how to spend its money. It raises taxes and promises it’s for social programs, infrastructure, and at one point a light-rail, but we never get to see the results of our hard-earned money being gradually taken, and that billion-dollar light-rail project never went into fruition, so that right there was a goddamn waste of money.

White people may have come to the Hawaiian islands, spread disease, forced religious conversion, and kill off most of the Native population–but you know who would have done so if we hadn’t? Asians! And guess what? The liberals in this state are doing an equal amount of damage as the missionaries did, even if it’s not manifesting itself as killing others. They like to think they’re doing the right thing, but all they’re doing is encouraging hate and the spread of idiocy. Did I tell you that a bunch of my students possessed no aptitude to learn, and were really stupid? That’s because of the culture bred here. If mom and dad can live off their social program money and/or get their son/daughter a job through nepotism (which is fucking rampant in this goddamn state), then why bother to try to get an education? Also, it’s too much effort to be nice to other people who are not culturally or ethnically like you, because “white people weren’t that way when they came the island”. Fuck you. You’re living off of another culture’s history just so you can sit on your ass and get money from the government you non-Hawaiian mongrel.

I realized a few years after I was teaching here that I discovered that Hawaii was corrupt, backwards, and caving in on itself. I felt that I was living in a platitude of ignorance in which many of these people were more than happy to remain in. I was sick of being called foul names by my students and not having any security from the education system because they pandered to these assholes and were afraid of being deemed ‘racist’ if they backed up a white teacher. The education system ENCOURAGED, and continues to ENCOURAGE stupidity.

I started saving money so that I could try to find money to head to a different part of the state, but overtime I began realizing that the mentality was spread over most of the country, and I just began realizing to myself that me and Hawaii just weren’t meant to be. I came to this state with high aspirations and goals to work and thrive in paradise, but I realized that in the current state Hawaii is in, it’s impossible to live decently and happily. I don’t want to live around stupid people, nor people who allow it to happen. I don’t want to live with people who can’t bother to learn the English language (Hawaiian pidgin sounds like ghetto trash–never heard any indigenous use it). If you want to thrive, don’t come to Hawaii unless you possess hefty capital, or you’ve lobotomized yourself so you can mingle with the general populous like a zombie.

I know this was long. Whew! I think I’ve wanted to say all this for a while, but I was holding back because I kept wanting to think that I was in denial. Wow, I was dead wrong. I’ll be leaving here in less than a month. Thank the gods.

• My Truth says:

Hi Dahlia,

Get ready to be a whole lot happier than you’ve been in a long, long time. You’ve said a lot here, and you’ll continue to have catharsis after you leave the islands. When I returned after having moved 18 months prior, for me, it was a trip to the Arizona Memorial where, in the Shrine Room I stood at the edge of the altar and the docent gave a five-minute introduction about the room and the heroes there. That had never happened to me previously where someone spoke about what it meant. I openly wept and put all of my pain and suffering that I experienced in Hawaii – nearly 30-years altogether – right there on that shrine – and I was healed. It will take time. You will reminisce about some good times there – but I’m telling you right here, right now, that there isn’t a single one of them that can’t be replicated elsewhere – not a single one. You have seen Hawaii and its beauty; now depart, move on, and get ready to start feeling some self-worth again – my life has improved by leaps and leaps, bounds, and even more bounds than ever before.

In short, I’m only now seeing the negative effect Hawaii and its nasty people put on me. When you move, you’ll feel an enormous sense of relief – relief well-deserved. You’ll live life again.

Thank you for your touching post.

Best,

My Truth

• Glass Rose says:

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up on the big island? I think most of the people who go there either go there because they were going to school, were in the military, or believed the advertising that Hawaii was paradise on Earth. You truly have to be living on Hawaii to realize what an uneducated trashy MESS it is. 30 years man? Holy shit. How did you manage to stay sane there for that long?

• Glass Rose says:

You’re a strong, resilient person. If I had been in your spot I think I would have collapsed internally from depression and exhaustion.

8. Mentally bored. says:

Isolation has caused the inhabitants to become narrow minded. Social Harmony breeded the over passive aggressive behavior most display.. The lack of educated simulation on the island is mentally stagnant. I find that most here are just stereotypes of themselves and are uncomfortable with being themselves. It’s a NPC type of culture, just need to find open minded people which is few and far between but they are here.

• John says:

it’s a major problem in hawaii to believe what they see on tv like reality shows or what they see online as ghetto gangster is real life, and while they try to emulate these characters the have neither the education, nor the life experiences to pull it off… then again, locals believe throwing your trash on the ground is ok ‘cause someone gets a government job and paid to pick it up… and with no actual bathrooms for the public to use downtown (the exception being walmart) downtown is a giant toilet… hasn’t been one day I walk my dog and don’t see someone pissing/shitting in a doorway or someone’s landscaping…