Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3,823 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. coastalcasa says:

He has a a job starts at 10am, ends at 4pm. He’s a spoiled brat who had well-off parents
    who gave him $$ to buy a house free and clear, thus the entitled attitude. He’s all Asian and
    relates well with the local culture (he was raised in Seattle, so he is a transplant).
    Can you tell I’m having a bad day with the hubby? He just yelled at me to “to do the dishes
    coz dat’s my job “. And he’s about to go surf…. Hmmm.
    he may call a fuckin Haole soon. I’ll let y’all know when that happens…

2. coastalcasa says:

he may call me a fuckin Haole soon. I’ll let y’all know when that happens…

3. xb90 says:

Another shit-bag locked up:
    Typical local “gangsta” profile:
    – no permanent address
    – jailhouse neck tattoo
    – all kinds of bad attitude (follow link for police report and photo)

They don’t give much detail on this one – most likely bad blood between a couple of local turds but there has also been several assaults/robberies perpetrated on innocent folk. Hilo is no fucking place to be out-and-about late at night with fuckers like this on the loose.

4. My Truth says:

ICU?

Can we have a happiness update please?

:):):)

5. ICU8PUC2 says:

To all: I have now been back on the US Mainland for two weeks. It is amazing to go about town and people actually say hello, acknowledge you, say excuse me in the aisle as they pass through unlike the degenerate Hawaii locals. The ease of going from place to place with paved roads and no soul crushing continual daily gridlock. I am happy to be back in the USA.
    MT- Ward warehouse to be demolished this August to make way for two luxury high rises. The locals are being priced out as the Hawaiian Diaspora will continue.
    — It is so good to be back with out the infantile Hawaiian pride and people actually welcome you to their community. Done with all Hawaii all the time. I guess when you live on Alcatraz and once you leave after a decade; it’s quite easy to see the poor quality of everyday living in Honolulu and Oahu. A dilapidated Gulag Archipelago that will never progress. No weird interactions will people here; normalcy, courteous overall; and just plain normal. The pretense of Paradise is a sham.

• John says:

Hey so glad to hear you are doing well & enjoying life… the way it is supposed to be !

• My Truth says:

ICU,

So glad to hear you’re getting on well. After being in my new location for almost 6 months, I do realize life still has its curves, ups, and downs. People at work are still petty and vindictive. But it’s for different reasons. These reasons, I can fight. It’s impossible to fight the “he’s not from there” argument…it’s stupid and superficial.

But I am so glad to not have to deal with shitbag locals…the roads I drive on are clear; parking isn’t a problem. My home life is happy and out in the open, not cramped and trying to figure out how I can maximize the little space I have.

It’s great to hear from you! Check in again sometime soon!

Best,

MT

6. ICU8PUC2 says:

Thanks MT—— It feels like a rebirth….Not having to plan your life around soul crushing continual gridlock. Sleep in later and get home earlier….. Hawaii maintains it’s grip on their hordes of low educated union Neanderthals who are held down purposely by a low quality education system and playing the victim card on the descendants of sugar pickers on their urban plantation caste system. Their minds are subverted to believe that they are living in a state of paradise, all the while their futures are stunted and marginal. Not sure how they get the rating of best quality of life yearly in that rating scheme. Perhaps they talk only to tourists or retirees in Hawaii Kai who live there maybe 6 months of out the year…….It is truly the Appalachia of the Pacific controlled by Equatorial 3rd world economics via corrupt and congenitally compromised local politicians…..

7. Amanie Canine says:

Hate is a strong word. It would be good for the world to know more about the animal cruelty considered normal part of “respect the culture” here – melting Asian pot of boat hunters (with dogs poor dogs) and cock fighting prevalent and visible. Corruption and nepotism rampant. Need more environmentally socially aware helpers. Mismanagement of the angular resources and invasive species spread and poisons . Major issues in “paradise “

• John says:

When dealing with people of low decree, with no sense of honesty, integrity, the American standard of fairness & quality, who believe and practice lying, cheating, stealing, as a daily way of life, who’s degradation of America’s civil pride, & standards of life… hate is not a strong enough word

8. ICU8PUC2 says:

I am one month removed from the Gulag Archipelago—- It is a culture of corruption, crony capitalism, and rampant inbred nepotism…. The Hawaiian Diaspora will accelerate as they are only catering to the international 1% from Asia—– ALOHA HARD!
    ( From The Star Advertiser)
    City budget plan raises fees, taxes
    Posted on March 2, 2017 12:05 am
    The $2.45 billion operating budget Mayor Kirk Caldwell plans to unveil today proposes a new trash pickup fee and increases to bus fares and Residential A property taxes for next fiscal year that officials say are needed to fund hikes in nondiscretionary spending — including debt service, employee retirement and collective bargaining.

• John says:

So in other words, they want more money, to pay corrupt incompetent pepople to continue not doing the jobs theyvare being paid to do, as well as, the lazy, subpar, contractors to continue proving thrid ( if even) rate work that will have to be redone as soon as it’s “completed”?

• My Truth says:

ICU:

Good for you; you’ve made it…i can hear the dancing from here!

Best,

MT

9. BaffledByItAlll says:

The teat suckers on all islands is the majority of useless County employees and their offspring! The majority of people living on islands regard this disgusting welfare display as nothing to be concerned about, morons. It is a huge problem. Kimo and Pua get their automatic jobs of moving a stapler from one side of the desk to another cause their Big Titta Mama got them their jobs out of high school, damn the employment office who disagreed with her!!!! The whole islands economy is predicated on tourist dollars and the tax dollars of citizens to pay for the biggest welfare state going and primary employer of the island the Counties and State..and the roll gets bigger and bigger..along with the welfare mama roll. This state is disgusting, truly stupid and disgusting. I am here because I MUST BE HERE!

10. BaffledByItAlll says:

It is amazing this state is choked with fees and they find more fees and we get gouged to death. I swear it is a nepotism scam!!!

Uncle Kimo in a County job fresh out of high school with zero skills, he got from his “Moms” or “Pops”. Kimo after slacking off for years and getting a taxpayer check now thinks he wants more $$$$$, Kiimo takes the bs test that tell the county that Kimo can now make intelligent decisions, hire fine people and is now in charge of the bureaucratic nonsense…Kimo wanting his relatives to suck the teat of the taxpayer as Kimo has done, doing nothing…has found a way to have his “cousins” invention, work for the state”, and of course the Democratic morons, without of wit of common sense or fiduciary responsible, award the contract of nepotism to Kimo’s cousin. The newest a couple of years ago with the latest taxpayer ripoff of some new gizmo having PHOTOGRAPHIC proof of a “safety infraction” from one year to the next!!! Who the hell are these idiots kidding with all sorts of insanity on the roads violators will never be held accountable for, as their cousin Kanoi is not cited or arrest him!

Somebody mentioned getting rid of it all together..yes!!!!! As if there are violations..what Cop is going to pull someone over? As stated earlier the mainland does a huge check on private sales with cars over 10 years old. To think of a new car having this and that out and having to take the time and payment a year later is stupid. But this is the lib state, take from the working and give to the lazy..this is another example. The guys doing this bs hate it…as far as my conversation over the years go.

But this sucking teat state giving it up…they would cut off their right arm..defying logic against stupidity! It is infuriating!

11. ICU8PUC2 says:

Welcome Baffled…..You nailed it and welcome to the site….I was there for 10 years and luckily was able to leave….Your frustrations are standard by anyone with a brain who can see how truly dysfunctional and corrupt that group of welfare islands are. Oahu is just an aircraft carrier and now also caters to the international 1%. It is Soddom and Gmorrah…..

• BaffledByItAll says:

Thanks, have commented on here for years….I like to mix up my name, maybe I should not! Oh the frustration! Had a whopper of one today with the DMV, something out of the ordinary, easily to see what happened, and we did NOTHING WRONG! The bureaucratic non thinking culture were so unwilling to work with the obvious, it was like a man saying he had a cure for cancer and they said, don’t want it! THE HEELS WERE DUG IN!!! COMMON SENSE HAS NO PLACE AT ALL, and it was all COMMON SENSE!!!!!! These people getting teat sucking jobs right out of high school because a Titta they know got it for them, makes you insane confronting the stoned faced dumbness with the repetitive answer, no matter how illogical/false their rinse and repeat answer is! And they tell you say the same thing with a blankness on their face , over and over like good dummies, they do not care! No logic, no thinking, no working with you. My head was going to explode!!!!!!!!!!! They don’t get it, even on the simplest of things…but they also more importantly DON’T CARE. I would be embarrassed if I was one of them, they wear their stupidity as a badge of honor!

• My Truth says:

Yeah, I’ve been here for years, too 🙂 It’s a good place to get even with shitbag locals who don’t know their ass from a fucking hole in the ground – or English enough to get a decent job. One word: Zippy’s. I’d say handing a shitbag local their ass is just about my favorite thing to do – also local apologists, whiners, and tough guys who think they’re tough because they speak pidgin. We haven’t had a shitbag here in months!

Best,

My Truth

12. The thing is, I really find the history of Hawaii fascinating. I love Hawaiian art, the Hawaiian language, the Hawaiian religion…I just think it’s so intriguing. I love it so much!

It’s just sad to see how the locals treat others and cannot let go of the past. I just want to say, most of the people calling you a “haole” are not even Hawaiian. Most are Filipino/Japanese/White/Malaysian/Japanese mix-breeds with a tad of Hawaiian in there. Most pureblood Native Hawaiians died from disease brought over by the missionaries and settlers. The actual Native Hawaiian population is very small and quiet.

It’s been a mixed bag for me. I have met some lovely people (including my half-Hawaiian husband) and some assholes as well. I believe Hawaii can/will get better over time, but right now it’s between a rock and a hard place. I can see why my Polynesian pagan husband left. Lol.

13. ICU8PUC2 says:

Update: My PTSD from living in Honolulu is fading away. It is nice being back in America without dealing with the racially corrupt weirdness of Hawaii’s denizens of the urban plantation. I can actually live my life without having to deal with soul crushing gridlock. The oppression is over and it’s great to be out of Soddom and Gmorrah… No more stupid pride crap, more more defend Hawaii crap , etc. Is anyone following that 15 billion dollar rail boondoggle?

14. Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na, No Natives says:

I’m FREEE! Fuck me, that was an shitty 7 years. I lived in Kaneohe & Aiea. Thankfully my wife had family there, so it made it a little more tolerable. That, and hot girls who don’t wear a lot of clothes. That’s it.
    The stuff about “native pride” used to crack me up. No one is native when the fucking rocks popped up out of the ocean. Everyone got there by boat. Getting there before everyone else didn’t make you native, it made you first. Sorry Kamehameha High, there’s no such thing as “Hawaiian blood.”
    Nobody can fucking drive. Between the large Asian and elderly population, it might be the worst I’ve ever seen. Goddammit get out of the left fucking lane if you’re holding up traffic, and learn to fucking merge!
    The DMV. What a cluster-fuck-of-epic-proportions. Go to DMV. Go to safety check at gas station. Go back to DMV. Go back to gas station. Holy fuck that gave me a headache just typing it. Give me a Friday afternoon and a 12 pack and I could write a process that would look like a NASA EM Drive paper compared to what they currently have. But the problem is, and this is the Hawaiian people in a nutshell, they don’t want a better method because they despise progress.
    Little known fact. Conceal carry is allowed by law if you have a license. Licenses are issued by the chief. You want to know how many applications get approved? Zero. There is one civilian on Oahu who has a CCL, and he’s the head of the armory, who’s relative is, guess who? The Chief.
    The whole place just stinks of crooked cronyism and racism. I dread having to go back to see relatives.