Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

3,808 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. coastalcasa says:

He has a a job starts at 10am, ends at 4pm. He’s a spoiled brat who had well-off parents
    who gave him $$ to buy a house free and clear, thus the entitled attitude. He’s all Asian and
    relates well with the local culture (he was raised in Seattle, so he is a transplant).
    Can you tell I’m having a bad day with the hubby? He just yelled at me to “to do the dishes
    coz dat’s my job “. And he’s about to go surf…. Hmmm.
    he may call a fuckin Haole soon. I’ll let y’all know when that happens…

2. coastalcasa says:

he may call me a fuckin Haole soon. I’ll let y’all know when that happens…

3. xb90 says:

Another shit-bag locked up:
    Typical local “gangsta” profile:
    – no permanent address
    – jailhouse neck tattoo
    – all kinds of bad attitude (follow link for police report and photo)

They don’t give much detail on this one – most likely bad blood between a couple of local turds but there has also been several assaults/robberies perpetrated on innocent folk. Hilo is no fucking place to be out-and-about late at night with fuckers like this on the loose.

4. My Truth says:

ICU?

Can we have a happiness update please?

:):):)

5. ICU8PUC2 says:

To all: I have now been back on the US Mainland for two weeks. It is amazing to go about town and people actually say hello, acknowledge you, say excuse me in the aisle as they pass through unlike the degenerate Hawaii locals. The ease of going from place to place with paved roads and no soul crushing continual daily gridlock. I am happy to be back in the USA.
    MT- Ward warehouse to be demolished this August to make way for two luxury high rises. The locals are being priced out as the Hawaiian Diaspora will continue.
    — It is so good to be back with out the infantile Hawaiian pride and people actually welcome you to their community. Done with all Hawaii all the time. I guess when you live on Alcatraz and once you leave after a decade; it’s quite easy to see the poor quality of everyday living in Honolulu and Oahu. A dilapidated Gulag Archipelago that will never progress. No weird interactions will people here; normalcy, courteous overall; and just plain normal. The pretense of Paradise is a sham.

• John says:

Hey so glad to hear you are doing well & enjoying life… the way it is supposed to be !

• My Truth says:

ICU,

So glad to hear you’re getting on well. After being in my new location for almost 6 months, I do realize life still has its curves, ups, and downs. People at work are still petty and vindictive. But it’s for different reasons. These reasons, I can fight. It’s impossible to fight the “he’s not from there” argument…it’s stupid and superficial.

But I am so glad to not have to deal with shitbag locals…the roads I drive on are clear; parking isn’t a problem. My home life is happy and out in the open, not cramped and trying to figure out how I can maximize the little space I have.

It’s great to hear from you! Check in again sometime soon!

Best,

MT

6. ICU8PUC2 says:

Thanks MT—— It feels like a rebirth….Not having to plan your life around soul crushing continual gridlock. Sleep in later and get home earlier….. Hawaii maintains it’s grip on their hordes of low educated union Neanderthals who are held down purposely by a low quality education system and playing the victim card on the descendants of sugar pickers on their urban plantation caste system. Their minds are subverted to believe that they are living in a state of paradise, all the while their futures are stunted and marginal. Not sure how they get the rating of best quality of life yearly in that rating scheme. Perhaps they talk only to tourists or retirees in Hawaii Kai who live there maybe 6 months of out the year…….It is truly the Appalachia of the Pacific controlled by Equatorial 3rd world economics via corrupt and congenitally compromised local politicians…..