Hawaii sucks

I’ve been avoiding this topic since I started this blog but I’m finally breaking down to gripe. And I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames in the comments about this or any future posts I may have on the subject.

I hate Hawaii. I’ve lived here for over 2 1/2 years and I can’t wait to leave. Sure, the weather is nice but it really does get old after a while; I really miss having all four seasons. But apart from that, I can’t really find a lot of redeeming qualities about Hawaii.

Most of the people I’ve met in the past who enjoy Hawaii only came for a week or two to visit. If you never get out of the tourist areas, I’m sure it’s quite nice. Waikiki is clean (at least where the tourists go) and the beaches are nice over there. But once you leave the tourist areas, Honolulu is more like a ghetto. Many of the buildings are decrepit, there’s trash and graffiti all over, there’s a lot of homeless people, etc. Behind the facade of paradise is the gutter of real Hawaii.

The local government could care less about doing its job and corruption is rampant across the islands. Last year, 48 million gallons of raw sewage were dumped into the Ala Wai Canal (the demarcation between Waikiki and Honolulu proper). This canal goes straight into the beach area of Waikiki. In the 2+ years I’ve been here, there’s probably been more than eight sewage spills around Oahu, most of them into the canal.

The city waited three days or so before they posted signs after one of the spills and only did it after public outcry. The reason is because they didn’t want to scare the tourists. However, after the big Ala Wai spill, one man died from acquiring a flesh-eating bacteria infection after falling into the contaminated water. The city claims there was no connection between the infection and the release of sewage.

The latest problem is between go! airlines and Hawaiian. Hawaiian is trying to sue to have go! shutdown due to predatory pricing. go! currently charges ~$20 for a one-way trip to a neighbor island. Hawaiian feels it has to charge the same but, since Hawaiian has a larger infrastructure due to also supplying intercontinental flights, they simply can’t afford to compete locally. They also claim that go! used Hawaiian’s financial information illegally after gaining access to it during Hawaiian’s bankruptcy filings. So rather than competing on service or other things that may justify a higher price, Hawaiian is following the route of the music companies and trying to use the courts to prop up an outdated business model, or so it appears. Hawaiian has admitted that they will raise prices immediately to “market level” if go! is shut down.

There is a distinct racial bias against white people and, to an similar extent, black people too. But if you look “local”, you’re okay. I have friend who is Hispanic and was treated like a local when he went to a bar, even having people buy him drinks. But his white friends were given the cold shoulder, or at least not treated nearly as well. And Zeus forbid if you’re military.

The term “haolie” is used to distinguish white people from all others here. According to a dictionary I looked at, haolie means “foreigner”. But it’s definitely not used for all non-locals, only the white ones. And I’ve talked to several native Hawaiians who have stated that it actually means “soulless one”, implying that white people have no soul.

Speaking of language, since when is pidgin English considered a bona-fide language? It’s considered an unofficial language of Hawaii; they have dictionaries, books, and even classes on how to speak it. To me, I just think the speaker is a completely illiterate imbecile when I hear it. Seriously, it makes a person sound like a complete moron when he can’t speak in complete sentences. It’s worse than hearing people who have English as a second language; at least you know they’re trying to learn English.

I have a lot more to complain about but I’ll save it for later. But I know that I’m not alone in my distaste for Hawaii. Nearly every single military person I’ve met hates it here and can’t wait for orders out of here. As a matter of fact, there was one guy who cut his shore duty short and went back to sea because he couldn’t stand it.

Update: Since everyone seems to love commenting about this article (probably because of the title), I thought I’d make sure readers realize that there are other, related articles to this. Apparently relying on people to look at the sidebar for similar stories isn’t enough.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4,341 Responses to Hawaii sucks

1. Renee says:

Wow its been so quiet here…crickets. Oh how I want a proud green beer bottle local to toy with…lol

• My Truth says:

Hi Renee,

I’m here haha. You’re right, we’ve had quite the run here! It should pick up around the holidays when locals are sitting on their asses and peeking their head in on the blog 😉

How are you? I’m doing great 😉

MT 😉

• Renee says:

My Truth!
        Gla d your doing well! I just had an opportunity again to move back to Hawaii. When the call comes in its easy to think about the mountains and beaches. I thought long and hard about it and don’t want to expose my daughter to the schools and possible discrimination. I have a long hard look at everything I endured there and feared for her. I just needed to come back here to read everything to confirm I made the right decision!

• My Truth says:

Renee,

You did the right thing. I become happier and happier with each passing day that I’m away from those godforsaken locals. It’s not the islands that suck. It’s the locals – and they ruined it for everyone.

• Renee says:

Well said. I will forever miss the beauty of the islands…but the locals ruin the beauty and make it not worth it. I have a child now too and there is the whole public school nightmare…

• My Truth says:

Not only the public school thing, but people there are just mean for no reason. As long as there are handouts available to vagrants, locals will be nasty, nasty people.

2. Da Truth Eh?! says:

Brah?! I wanna get a good job (12 dalas en hor) buy a 40K Toyota truck, knock up my girlfriend and live with her in my parents home until I am in my 40s.

These people are so ignorant.

What is the deal with green bottles?

Why is generational housing not frowned upon?

If these poor idiots could drive away to another state they would be better off.

To second that…. I am glad that they do not have that convenience.

• John says:

Hey, hey hey… anyone whose lived here for a while knows this is not completely true… many local men move in with their “girl friends” … women who have four or five kids from as many fathers, receive subsidised housing, welfare, food stamps, who let them live for free, scrub the skid marks outta their shorts, while they try and get knocked up trying to force him to marry her…and then is taken completely by surprise when he like all of his predecessors, gets drunk and beats her… and even though each time the cops come she explains how he lives therebfor free and how she does everything for him,… it is never reported as welfare fraud… re : driving to a different state, maybe we should build a viaduct, and a short stretch of road, posted no speed limit, los vegas this way…free Heineken….

• My Truth says:

Hi “Da Truth” 😉

I knew a lady who wanted to PASS DOWN her SECTION 8 housing gig TO HER CHILDREN – it’s not only generational housing, it’s generational WELFARE too!

Hi John 😉

My Truth

3. John says:

***lives there for free…..

4. Mike says:

Wow lots of hate here. Sounds like typical white man entitlement attitude… “Too bad such a nice place is controlled by non-whites” is what I’m hearing. You want the indigenous people removed so you and your white friends can have their paradise? It’s an arrogance that is only found in whites. The rest of us understand that when in Rome… well you know the rest. But arrogant whites have a different philosophy… “When I arrive, do as I do.” Yeah, how’s that been working for ya?

• My Truth says:

Hi Mike,

Way to come barging into the forum acting like a complete and total ass-hat. Don’t bother asking why this forum exists…just selectively read a few of the posts and make your own, small, vapid determination. You asked how things have been working out for us…OK, I’ll try one:

Hawaii is a shithole banana republic – not because the “whites” came in and spoiled it, but because the locals have. So, you “do in Rome” while in Hawaii? The truth is, you’re probably a one-time tourist (or never-been, one of the two) who is really talking out of his ass, because you’ve never experienced what it’s like living in Hawaii as a Caucasian. So, you visit Hawaii, wear matching aloha shirt and shorts while your wife wears the exact patterned matching muumuu, making the shaka sign, and drinking coconut juice out of a coconut while sipping it through a straw. Hmmmm. Do like the locals do, eh Mike?

But you don’t see the REAL Hawaii, Mike. You don’t see all the crackhead neighbors who live near us, or how Caucasian children are treated in public school (which is an entirely different issue, but let me give you a clue: last in the U.S. of A.) You haven’t experienced how locals are really the true racists who reach out one hand for welfare while they “dig their nose” with the other, nor have you seen them blow their nose in their own t-shirt while wearing it, then smooth it down like it was nothing. You don’t see – because your face is pressed up against the trees – how the U.S. did Hawaii a favor by annexing them – because if we didn’t, locals in Hawaii would be speaking Chinese or Russian – instead of pidgin English…I could go on and on Mike, but I’ll wait until the next time you visit. Oh, and how is it that you ended up at the “Hawaii Sucks” forum in the first place? What were you searching for?

I’ll tell you what Mike, come back here with a better attitude, and we can talk. But if you want to look down your nose at the people who come here with legitimate complaints and dismiss them, you’re in for a surprise instead of a nice conversation…

I lived in Hawaii for more than 30 years – so I’ll give you the straight deal while you search out how to “act” in Hawaii – but if you’re going to come back thinking you know what you’re talking about, which, I know isn’t true just by reading your short post, don’t even bother. You’ll get your ass handed to you by me, and the others who know the real deal about Hawaii, and it’ll probably hurt your ego just a little too much.

Welcome to the board, Mike,

My Truth

• John says:

Apparently you were confused or just too ignorant to understand what a site entitled “hawaii sucks” would be about. Indigenous people? yeah recent census tells us the indigenous or native hawaiian population in hawaii ranges between 6-9% of the population. (if you were to read many of the post on this site you’ll find. none of us have any problems with the as you say indigenous population. The majority of hawaii’s population is asian. You obviously haven’t done your research. As far as in rome, I was brought up to be kind, considerate, respectful, honest, iloyal, instilled with a work ethic of excellence.so no wonder I don’ t fit in in hawaii, you see I like the others who post herre, just weren’t brought up to be cheets, liars, theives, nor was I raised to befriend others to be able to undermine them and stab them in the back as “sport”.. My take on hawaii’s immigrant asian /locals population is they want to piss/shit on american standards, values, cultural, ethics, standard etiquette, expecting us from the mainland to accept their behaviours as cultural ethnic differences … but I guess we’ll see how disrespecting americas work out for locals when we go to war with korea/china… I’m sure the military will be impressed with the locals lying game and see that they are just much more clever than whites… yeah considering locals have shit on the military every chance they’ve gotten for the past 70 years…

• Renee says:

^^^^^^^^^^^what John said^^^^^^^^^ A+ John.

I wouldn’t trust a generic Asian mix local boi or girl for a second…shifty eye cunning self righteous but so ugly inside ….true Hawaiians from Waianae, the dying few have a heart of gold.inside

Military presence is the only hope.

• John says:

Completely agree Renee, the actual “native people” are great to hang with, locals you can’t trust as far as the end of your eyelashes. Thank Gawd I’ll be outta here soon!

• John says:

no one here seems to notice the serious increase in military here…. or maybe no one wants to talk about it, I’ve noticed a sizeable amout of training flights and seems to be a lot more helicopters too…

• My Truth says:

Hi Guys!

Good hearing from you two…as always, I expect that the “activity” will pick up around Thanksgiving, and continue through to the first of the new year 😉 John, it’s great to hear that you’ll soon be back in the Lower 48 – I no longer call it the “Mainland” since it’s really a local term.

You too, Renee, you sound just as happy as can be – and I can honestly say every single metric of my life has vastly improved since moving away from Hawaii. I’m staring down the probability of being promoted by January 1st, and have completed 14 PROFESSIONAL goals, certifications, and even a master’s degree since I left that shithole – not to mention the dozens and dozens of PERSONAL things I’ve done for myself, not the least of which was pulling $180k out of the Hawaiian market economy after selling my place. My quality of life is triple for half the price (I’m not EVEN kidding,) and instead of feeling like I’m being judged all the time, it’s just me being judged on the kind of person I am.

For anyone who’s thinking about leaving Hawaii – DO IT. For those who think they’re going to be happy by getting a raise for going back there – I would most-likely say DON’T.

Great hearing from you guys!

My Truth 😉

5. The real truth says:

The modern democrat party is still the party of slavery. You idiots cannot dispute that. So, with that said… You are all island negros and you vote for high home prices, a high standard of living and an unexpected affordable wayof life. You are all bitches to the Democratic party just like aficans were in the 1800s! You have no argument… You know that I am correct.

• My Truth says:

Huh. Did you know most of us don’t live there anymore? I guess that makes you the idiot. A lot of what we do here has to do with a particular poster’s initial communication, and boy, you blew it. You’re a racist pig and an angry little person, so much so that you come in here with that idiotic, no-good, stupid bullshit way of talking. Well, here it is right back in your fat face: You don’t know any of us; you probably should be posting in another forum; you don’t have a single iota right about Hawaii, and you’ve got the balls to come in here trying to ride on my username.

Go fuck yourself.

6. The real truth says:

The last time that demotards freaked out was when a republican… Abe Lincoln, freed the slaves.

• My Truth says:

Hey, dumbass, you’re in the wrong forum. You need to go into the “Crazed Political Extreme Bigots who are Fixated on Slavery” blog.

GTFO